The Drumming System (affiliate link) has an entire DVD dedicated to live gigs and studio drumming for the aspiring professional drummer. If you’re out of high school and want to go out and play live and get paid, there are many ways to go about it. Many musicians friends of mine ask me how I go about finding paid work. The reality is that there is no right answer.
Here’s an important thing to remember:
Just because you have the ability to play well, doesn’t mean your going to get paid work.
The key is to find a band or artist that’s working and getting paid. Through the years, I’ve learned to find musicians who are earning money and develop relationships with them. I’ve also learned how to really market myself and use the power of the internet to help me find drumming jobs.
Here are some other tips:
- First and foremost, make sure you have the ability to play the drums well enough to hold your own in a band.
- Get clear about what kind of band you want to get into. Next, see what’s available in your local area. If you don’t like the music you are playing, then you’re not going to enjoy yourself as much.
- Let people know that you’re available to play. Go out to live venues. Introduce yourself to musicians. If they can’t use you, you never know who they might know.
- Got to auditions. You never know, but you might get to get your dream gig.
- Check out ads in your local newspaper.
- Use Craigslist to advertise your services and look for gigs.
- Make business cards for yourself. Some people might think that this is too “businesslike”. I get professional looking cards at a low price through Vistaprint (affiliate link).
- Please understand that you are a business, whether you like or not.
- Have a phone, email address, Facebook profile, and a website. Having a phone and email address might be obvious to some people, but you’d be surprised how many drummers I meet who don’t have one or both. A website is also important. In fact, this website has helped me get so much work as a drummer. On your website you can put up your bio, videos, and photos.
- This website is hosted through Bluehost (affiliate link).
- Email is how people communicate and phone communication is becoming less popular. This is hard reality for some people to face.
- I use Infusionsoft (affiliate link) to maximize the power of email marketing.
- Put up a flyer in your local music store, community center, house of worship, mall, etc. Again, you will need a phone number and an email address.
- Be patient. As a self-employed individual, I can tell you that this takes time.