First of all, let me say that I am a happy, working professional studio drummer and I love every aspect of my work. I have four core beliefs that have led me to have success as a professional drummer:
- Stay true to yourself and you will be happy.
- Music is an untapped gold mine. Drummer jobs are out there. Great money can be made, if you believe it can be. Like any business, there is no exact formula to follow. In fact, that’s the beauty of it.
- If you want to make money, then you have to see yourself as a business that provides a drumming service, not a drummer trying to find a work. If that makes you uncomfortable, angry, or is a turn off, then you probably won’t be successful at making money as a drummer.
I’ve learned to apply my core beliefs by working On my business, not just In my business.
You work In your business when you:
- Practice drumming.
- Take lessons.
- Commute to a performance.
- Advertise and network.
You work On your business when you:
- Educate yourself as an entrepreneur.
- Write a business plan for your drumming career.
- Set goals as a drummer and entrepreneur.
- Create systems to automate yourself.
Here some ways to begin working On your drumming business:
- Set goals. If you don’t have clearly written out goals, how will you know when you have succeeded? It’s important to set goals daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and yearly. Be sure to write them down and look at them everyday. Study after study proves that people who set goals succeed!
- If you haven’t read the book, The E-Myth Revisited (affiliate link) by Michael Gerber, READ IT! This book single handedly changed how so many small businesses go about making more money. What’s great about it is that it’s a short story that’s fun and inspiring.
Learn more about The E-Myth Revisited (affiliate link) by Michael Gerber.
- Another great book is Guerrilla Marketing (affiliate link) by Jay Conrad Levinson. This book is for drummers who need to learn how to market themselves cheaply (or for free) and effectively.
Learn more about Guerrilla Marketing (affiliate link) by Jay Conrad Levinson.
- As you will learn in The E-Myth Revisited (affiliate link) everything in your business is about systems.
Systems are at the foundation of all successful businesses. One system I use is Infusionsoft (affiliate link). In fact, it is my secret weapon. I call it my secret weapon because it has allowed market my drumming, as if my marketing were on steroids.
- Get a coach, consultant, or mentor. Think of how the right teacher helped you grow as a drummer. The right person will give you the structure to grow as a small business owner. You’ll benefit from their experience and knowledge. Most importantly being accountable to someone else will get keep you on a path to success.