[wpaudio url=”http://mikeveny.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Music-Industry-Resources.mp3″ text=”Tools to Help You Make Money Making Music” autoplay=”1″]
I thought it would be helpful to create a resource page that you can always come to for information. I’ll add to it over time. I recommend bookmarking it for your reference and convenience.
Disclosure: Transparency is extremely important to me, so I am letting you know that I will receive a commission on some of the products and services you click on from this site. Regardless, every item mentioned on this site is a product that I own, currently use, and have thoroughly reviewed. Please do not spend money unless you feel it’s for something you really need and will help you reach your goals.
Singer-Songwriters, Independent Artists, and Bands
- Leftsetz Letter: Bob Leftsetz does the best job of “keeping it real” about the music business. Although he might come off as pessimistic and you might grow addicted to reading is blog as though it were a reality show, it’s extremely educational.
- Music Industry Report: The latest news, tips, and advice columns for the entire music business.
- Live Unsigned Blog: A worldwide gig directory just for unsigned artists. Here you’ll find lots of useful tips to help you prosper as an unsigned musician.
- Seth’s Blog: If you follow me on Twitter, Facebook, or just know me than you’ve probably heard of Seth Godin. If not, you need to check out his blog. He is my mentor and the best marketing guru in the world. He’s taught me to think outside the box and develop a profitable music career.
- HitSquad News: Great news for musicians
- Record Label Business Plan 2.0 + Music And Entertainment Contracts: If you are looking to start your own record label and get funding from investors, check this out. It also comes with contract templates.
- Legacy Learning Systems: If you are looking for some of the best home study courses in piano, guitar, and drums, you need to check this out. The courses are packed with material, have a 100% satisfaction guarantee, and are cheap.
- The Singers Gift Vocal Warm Ups: This is a really effective vocal warm up course taught by my friend, colleague, and celebrity vocal coach, Cari Cole.
- Step Up to the Spotlight 2.0: This is an intense artist development program also from Cari Cole. In addition to being a celebrity vocal coach, she has helped develop Grammy winners, American Idol Finalists, Rock stars, Major & Indie Label Artists.
- Guerilla Music Marketing Handbook: 201 self-promotion tips for songwriters, musicians and bands on a budget.
- Concert Promotion: A Step by Step Guide: If you ever wanted to know what it takes to become a successful concert promoter, look no further!
- 31 Days to a Better Blog: If it weren’t for this book, you probably wouldn’t be reading this page. This book helped me create a plan to grow my blog.
- Bluehost: This is the most reliable webhost that I have found and it costs under $7.00 a month.
- WordPress: This is FREE and easy to use. I find it easier to use than Microsoft Word. Also, it’s the platform that most successful blogs use.
HootSuite: I manage my Twitter profiles, Facebook profiles, Facebook pages, MySpace profile, and LinkedIn profile all from one dashboard. In addition, I can schedule up to 200 status updates at once, per profile. It’s cheap and fun to use.
Infusionsoft: I tried every other email marketing software and nothing comes close. It’s more expensive than any other email marketing software and totally worth every penny. I can’t live without it. Honestly, this email-on-steroids software might be too much power for one person to have.
Lifetick: I start each workday looking at my goals. Lifetick is great because it allows me to set S.M.A.R.T. goals (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic, and timely). When I miss a scheduled step, I get an annoying email.
- Frequent Flyer Master: I am so addicted to increasing my miles so I can exchange them for free flights. As a person who doesn’t use credit cards, this book has helped me a lot.
- Travel Hacking Cartel: What started with the airline miles has escalated into hotel points and rent-a-car points. As a member of the Cartel, I get miles every time I refer someone. In addition, I get notified about great deals on getting free miles and points several times a week.