When asked how one can become more productive, billionaire Richard Branson sat back on his private island and thought for a moment. His response was short and to the point: “Work out.” He claims exercising gives him a whopping FOUR HOURS of extra productivity.
In the following video, Richard elaborates a bit more on this:
As a busy musician & entrepreneur, being productive is super important to me. There is only a certain amount of hours in a day. I’ve had to find ways to get more exercise into my life. In addition to semi-regular weight training, here are some of the small things I do to stay in shape:
- Go for walks. Being out in nature is something that I value, regardless of the weather conditions outside. Even on days where I’ve had very little sleep, a walk is the perfect way for me to start my day. Some of my favorite places to walk include, the Long Beach boardwalk in Long Island, Central Park, Astoria Park, Flushing Meadows Corona Park, and next to the bike path on the West Side Highway in New York City.
- Hike a mountain. Whenever I get the opportunity, I love to hike. My favorite places to hike are at the Mohonk Mountain House & the Greenbelt trail.
- Rock scrambling. The greatest in fun and exercise for me is a rock scramble. My favorite places to scramble are at the
Mohonk Mountain House & Mt. Taurus in Cold Spring, New York.
- Run a race. I hate running, but I regularly register to do 5k races. Once they are on my calendar, I have no choice to prepare. Even though I hate doing it while I’m doing it, I feel so good after. Nothing beats that “runners high”.
- Walking instead of taking a train, car, or bus. Living in New York City, I enjoy access to the best mass transit system in the world. As easy as it is to hop on a train, I choose to walk when I can. Sometimes it’s actually faster. Most importantly, I get to people watch in New York City.