Just so you know, this blog that you are reading generates income for me each month. It’s taken me years to learn about this mysterious world of blogging. Regardless, I feel that I am just scratching the surface of what is possible. I wanted to take this opportunity to share some of the steps that I have taken and tools that I have used to monetize this blog.
I can assure you that these steps work because I have used them consistently with several other blogs that I own. All have given me consistent income. One guideline that I would suggest is that you take your time with each step.
- Get a Reliable Webhost – In order to have a blog, you need a webhost. The idea of a free one might seem like a cost-effective, but it’s better to just pay for a webhost. This blog (and all my others) are on Bluehost (affiliate link). Bluehost (affiliate link) is the most reliable webhost and it costs under $7.00 a month.
- Use WordPress – WordPress is FREE and easy to use. I find it easier to use than Microsoft Word. Also, it’s the platform that most successful blogs use. The easiest way to learn WordPress is to visit WordPress.TV. It offers easy tutorials in video format. Here is a great tutorial on getting a post out quickly with QuickPress.
- Get a Professional Design – I built this from scratch and never paid for a web designer. To save money I purchased the StudioPress Pro-Plus All Theme Package (affiliate link). A single theme (site design) costs $80. For $300, you get access to all their themes…which is great if you want to regularly change the design of your site. One of the most amazing things about WordPress is that you can change the look of your site instantly with a click of a mouse. I’ve seen many top blogs that use StudioPress (affiliate link) templates. In fact, Ray Charles and I have the same StudioPress (affiliate link) design. Check out www.RayCharles.Com.
- Search Engine Optimization – If you type the words “professional drummer” into Google anywhere in the United States, I usually comes up in the top 3 results. This is due to search engine optimization. To learn how to get started, I would suggest reading
Search Engine Optimization All-in-One For Dummies (affiliate link). This blog uses the All-in-One SEO plugin and the Scribe (affiliate link) plugin.
- Create a Blogging Plan – Once you have your infrastructure in place, you need a plan. I learned how to create a plan from reading the book, 31 Days to a Better Blog Plan (affiliate link). In fact, this article that you are reading is from what I learned in one of the first few chapters.
- Ask for the Sale – If you have a service or product you are selling, it’s critical that you have a call-to-action for it. Towards the top of this page, above the article, I have a menu with a tab that says “Hire Me.” I learned about having a “Hire Me” page from Problogger.Net. For yourself, it might be as simple as adding a PayPal button to your WordPress blog.
- Affiliate Marketing – In case you didn’t notice, “(affiliate link)” directly follows certain links in this article. That’s my way of letting you know that I might earn money from you purchasing that product if you click that link. Affiliate marketing is the second way that I make money from this blog. To get started in affiliate marketing, I suggest reading The Super Affiliate Handbook (affiliate link). This book taught me the basics of making money from my blog. Once you are comfortable with the basics, I would suggest checking out some of these Smart Affiliate Marketing Strategies.
If you follow the above steps, I can assure you that you will begin to see cash coming in from your blog. If you need my help, please feel free to contact me.
Do you make money from your blog?
Please scroll down and answer below.